Thursday 19 January 2012

What I have learnt from watching it's a wonderful life abijillion times...

so yeah, I over-reacted just slightly about orientation day...it was quite mundane. But still, I don't consider all those nerves a complete waste because truly, all those people who just tackle things as they come miss all that anticipation anxiety and everything just seems fine for them, just an ordinary day that they soon forget...while I know that disaster was averted and I can rejoice, that I survived to face another day.

Anyway, back to the title...I was watching the traditional Christmas fair this holiday season and all of a sudden It's a wonderful life became my favorite movie...I have seen it many times before, and the most important lesson I got out of it was that 'everytime a bell rings...' (I hope you know the rest but if you don't...this might make you watch it). Also I would give it token props cause my family loves it sooooo much but for me...give me a good cheesy Christmas musical and I am set...White Christmas usually...but no, all of a sudden I realized why It's a wonderful life is so great.

Because of George...he actually doesn't come off looking the greatest, his attitude tends towards martyrdom, he struggles with wanting so much more, but feeling like his life has already been mapped out for him, he's trapped, slightly frazzled and a bit of a workaholic he does have some good qualities though, he is capable, he is disciplined, and has a genuine empathy for those around him, and he doesn't care about money at all, even to the point of choosing an ambiguous financial future over security.
I guess I never got it till now. Because his life seemed so mundane...even to him...I kinda agreed with him, after watching it, George...why didn't you take the boat, sail away, have an adventure, do what YOU wanted to...

But after watching it this season, I realized that it takes a better person to stay, and finish someone elses dream, it takes alot more strength to say no to yourself, then simply think that your accountable to your own wishes and desires and not somehow connected to whats going on around you...that mundane, totally unidealistic reality...that you are a part of whether you like it or not.

truly I don't even want to contemplate where I am on the George scale...but he is pretty amazing, even though he could work on his attitude.

New fav line..."What are the three most wonderful sounds in the whole world?"
Uncle Billy, "Breakfast is served, lunch is served, dinner is served."

No comments: