Friday 5 August 2011

Hands

I think this is about the time, around the right day...

I remember going to Rick Down's funeral and hearing his son-in-law's tribute...kinda weird that I would remember it, I am sure that I have forgotten so many important things in my life, but I'll never forget his speech...he said he'd miss Rick's hands, he talked about monumental moments like his very first handshake where there was so much riding on Rick's hands, then when he asked to marry Rick's daughter and the handshake and hug that followed, but then he admitted that it was the little things, all the stuff Rick did and how he showed his love for others using his hands...at the time I think I kinda thought-who is this guy-he is obsessed with his father-in-laws hands, not really I was actually crying by the end of his speech...afterwards I remembered something you said, how you said the first thing you noticed about Grandpa was his voice, and his beautiful hands...his hands that made music, conducted choirs, and pinched his grandchildren (Tris). You loved grandpa's hands...maybe hands are secretly a bit of a thing for our family too...I for one always noticed yours...they weren't what you'd call pretty, you always mourned your nails, they had those lines in them maybe cause your hands worked alot, they were not soft, but they weren't hard either, they were just right. I always thought they were the best hands ever...your hands were so talented, maybe they didn't make the world around them sing, but they sure helped in the food department, and the gift giving, hand written cards and the love pats...oh those love pats:) so I guess, now, after remembering that speech for so long, I finally get it. I miss the things you did to show me love, but mostly, I miss your hands.

PS Last time I visited Grandpa I looked at his hands, they are still as beautiful as they always were...actually I think I inherited his amazing hands...minus the singing part of course:)

No comments: