Thursday 5 May 2011

When someone is kind to the ones I love...

the other day I attended a fascinating lecture on the mind-body health connection put on by a Dr. in his lecture to a faculty of nursing students and their professors he not only explained his views of the biopsychosocial connectedness in illness; he also brought in the fact that in the medical profession an average Dr's appointment is between 5-15 minutes. I already knew this, but I didn't know that much of this is because of how a Dr is paid...basically when a Dr spends more than 15 minutes with you they are giving you more than you are giving them. I thought of the one Dr I know who has come the closest to dissolving my irrational fear and terror of Dr's and then I thought about how much time he spent with any of my family members that went to him...mostly my nephews but he even took time for my Dad...and I realized I do miss those days in the hills hospital so much, talking with nurses and watching them care for people...emulating them (they are alot of why I am here)...and also the Dr's rounds when i would nervously prepare myself for saying..."good morning" as quietly and quickly as I could or heaven forbid be stopped by the Dr as he would talk about day to day stuff and ask how I was doing...how was I doing? I was terrified thats how I was doing...but I lied and would try and have a coherant conversation with him...not really sure how those went...I can't remember them, I was terrified. now that I think back...I am so thankful for those moments of pure terror, I am so grateful for being shown that yes, Dr's aren't so scary...well most are but a percentage aren't (I'm told) and then a very special few are most definitly some of the kindest people you will ever know...I have the priviledge of knowing one of those Dr's...it's hard to know how to describe how much this Dr's example went towards preping me as I approach 3rd year clinical and working more closely with Dr's...I just know that I needed to have those moments of terror and he needed to be the kind of person he is...

I don't hold out much hope of meeting too many Dr's that are like him, but I do know that I won't be as terrified to give any Dr report because of knowing him, I might even ask how their doing...

thank-you for caring for for my family.

No comments: