Monday 11 October 2010

So I went fishing...

I opened up my email to find messages circulating from the whole family about my Dad's father, my Grandpa. He had to be admitted to the hospital. He is sick and so many of us are far away. It was probably the saddest I have been for a long time. I know I am not the only one worried about him from far away, and there is comfort in knowing we all want to be with him...but that doesn't change the fact that we aren't. We are somewhere else where there are no hugs we can share with Grandpa. It''s funny cause I had been thinking about him all weekend, expecting a phone call-I haven't gotten one in awhile so I thought it was about time:)-I wasn't nervous, just feeling the need to communicate with Grandpa. And then all the emails came and I was overwhelmed, helpless, and far far away.
I was still on the farm with Courtney and the B's and Mr. B asked if anyone wanted to go fishing. In my head I was like, now is not the time for fishing! I was thinking I needed a serious wallowing fest where I would be sad and overwhelmed and just really sad...fishing, seriously.
So I went fishing, more than alittle rusty I had to be shown how to use a rod and cast. I thought casts were put on broken limbs...not used to catch fish. But surprisingly I found that although I wasn't any good at it, i kinda liked the rhythm of casting and pulling the lure back in. Once I even caught a stick with my 'no fail' lure...Mr B caught a pickeral...that was an adrenalyn rush and I just watched! But then it was back to casting and winding, and casting and winding. While fishing I remembered how Grandpa took me and Ste to frogs gap...mostly i wouldn't go then either, Ste went more times than I did. And there wasn't much alive in frogs gap to catch...but somehow I thought it was nice to be out fishing and reminiscing all of a sudden fishing was the answer. Chatting about childhood escapades and watching the water seemed to make everything that was so overwhelming before come back into a place that was simple and calm...like fishing.
We ate Sir Pickeral that night and he was really good.
Knowing me, i will get overwhelmed and sad again, probably sooner rather than later...but i hear there's good ice fishing in manitoba. it'll be okay, it'll be alright:) as long as I can go fishing...

No comments: