Wednesday 13 October 2010

The flight of the Pheonix

I couldn't sleep last nite. I wasn't studying; I got caught up in something that was happening in a different hemisphere. On pins and needles i lay down in bed, although i was exhausted, all I could think about was 33 men stuck 1/2 a mile underground in Chile. I prayed for their safe travel back to the surface of the earth...
Eventually I did sleep but the first thing i did when i woke up was check to see how the rescue was going, and once I checked I got hooked in again. It wasn't because the President of Chile was there, it wasn't because thousands of dollars were spent by a number of countries to build a special transportation device either. It was because 33 men who had been lost, beyond anyones reach...were coming home. And somehow the drama of their story from buried alive to being restored back to their lives made me believe in miracles. There was the 'singer', the 'poet', the 'youngster', the 'foreigner', the 'elder', the 'accidental' miner, the 'runner', the 'leader', the 'writer' who wrote the very first note telling the world they were still alive and someone whom they called 'folklore'. The past two months under ground worked to illuminate these 33 people to the whole world. Today we got to share in their jubilation as they ascended into the daylight. Not going to lie, today i wasn't just happy, I was ecstatic...because 33 miners came out of a mine. Every break i could, i would check reports and watch the slide show of these men holding their wives, kneeling to pray, and raising their hands in joy signaling their victory over darkness. One family member told reporters when asked about the order of which man would come when, it didn't matter, the vigil would only end after the last man was rescued. They were a family...as I watched and waited with the rest of the world for these men to come home...I felt like we were all a part of their family...Over 2 months ago a random mine caved in on 33 strangers. Today the world is breathlessly waiting to reunite father's, son's, husband's to their families. Today was a good day. As one miner said, "Down in the mine we saw God, and we saw the Devil...and God won."

1 comment:

Kim said...

i have been glued to it all, waving, cheering, praying, crying. all in the general direction of my screen. i am in awe of God, and love that the world watched Him do something so beautiful with all his Chilean people!