Tuesday 8 June 2010

A tyPicaL CmU suMmEr stAff meEttIng

"Your racist!" Micha to Ben.



"I really don't think you can buy an I-phone in Paraguay, and plus their technology is way behind what we're capable of here in Canada." Ben to Micha.


"Did anyone see the finale of House?" Alec.

"I mean just look at the new I-phone 4.0 coming out in the fall. I want it so bad. It has video calling with wifi." Ben again.

"Mennonites who come from Paraguay to Canada always make fun of the ones they left behind, they think we don't know how to read or write or something. They say we are so dumb." Micha.

"Well, you don't have I-phones." Ben again.

"No, but did you see the finale of Grey's?" Kathleen.

"We have I-phones in Paraguay. And their cheaper than here in Canada too." Micha.

"Kathleen, your 2 minutes and 44 seconds late." Alec.

"It was so intense, a mass murderer just started shooting people in the hospital, everyone was dying." Kathleen.

"45...46...You better sit down. 47...48..." Alec to Kathleen.

"How early did you get here Raquelle?" I ask.

"7:20 am ( fourty minutes before shift starts)." Raquelle.

"Raquelle!?! I only woke up at 7:20 am!" I say. (thinking about how I hit snooze twice too)

"49...50...51...Kathleen you better sit down." Alec.

"Does anyone want to buy my I-phone so I can get the new 4.0 when it comes out?" Ben.

"I just knew it was going to rain so I wanted to get here without getting rained on." Raquelle in defense.

"I'm too cheap to spend 4 dollars to upgrade to a 3.0. So why would I buy yours?" Scott to Ben.

"I used to watch Grey's but I lost interest after everyone got together and was happy." I say to Kathleen.

"It really bugs me how you 'first'-worlder's judges us developing countries. You think you know everything. You don't." Micha to Ben.

"Look at the apps for the 4.0, I need it so much! Should i get it in black or white?" Ben.

"52...53...54..." Alec.

"I think you should get it in white-with a purple case-." I say to Ben both looking at eachother and at the exact same time going..."ahhhhhhhhhh"

"To match my bedroom!" Ben shouts in joy at the pure genius of my input.

"Is there coffee in the kitchen?" Kathleen

"55...56...57..." Alec

"Yes." Me and Micha together.

Micha gets up and walks away.

"Hey, deveoping country, where are you going?" I ask. (as soon as i say it I start feeling guilty about calling her third world.)

"I have to get to work." Micha gives me 'the look' as she leaves...

"58...59..." Alec

"Regualer cleaning is Katherine Freisen hallways and stairwells and Concord linen and utility rooms." Raquelle lists the to-do's...

Kathleen sits down. We commence dividing the tasks of the day up between ourselves.


3 comments:

Ben said...

I love hearing everyone's voices when I read your quotes. Spot on Maria! SPOT ON!

Kim said...

this is another world :)

Stefanie said...

Hil-gutbustin'-arious!!! Brilliant writing Maria!