Monday 18 May 2009

the cottage

a few years ago, back in the land of the phils...when me and the girls would sit around and talk about home and special things we missed...Linds would always talk about the cottage. The lake, the speedboat, the sun, the fresh air...the cottage...we all had our special events to look forward to once getting home, and Linds' was to drive straight from the airport to the cottage...now that I have experienced time at her cottage I know why.
This week Linds invited me to the cottage with her family (minus Thailand visiting sister Elise) and I was like, I don't know, I have so much to study and stress about....-side note-can i just say that I am not the quickest person out there and certainly one of the slowest to get excited about things that I should get excited about...anyway I thought about it for a day or two and was like Linds you know I really think it would be good to go...thinking that I just need out of my 4 walls of apartment and to breathe some different air...
can I just say Linds was really understanding in first letting me change my mind and then just taking me-the perenially slow to bloom with any kind of excitement along-I mean this was her thing, this was the cottage that got her thru the phils, I should have been alot more into this than I was...but real life often gets taken alittle too slowly by me...but there it is, I am slow and people who deal with me learn to expect this slowness...I think she knew...I hope she knew...I am just abit of a freak...
so
anyway
the cottage....
first driving there was so nice, I was out in the country, in a car (as opposed to the bus) sitting with people I knew and it did start with many adventures, her poor dad had to pull off the spare tire on the boat trailer cause it kept hitting the ground and making hideous brake-like noises and then when we finally got to the cottage (I think what was long to him seemed like a super nice drive to me) he had to get running water in the cottage itself but one of the attachments was broken so he worked on that all afternoon, as well as the dock and getting the boat out...etc...I just got to enjoy the cottage life and her poor dad was like the energizer bunny doing all this stuff to make the experience so amazing....props to Linds dad!
but now,
the cottage...
words can't describe it really, it was everything that I think a memory/moment should be to get you through the hard times, I can totally see why Linds would go to the cottage right after the airport when she got back from the phils...the deck, the water, the boat ride...the water, the quiet...
and all the favorite foods of summer, hot dogs, steaks, french toast...(Linds mum gets huge props for the menu and food...oh my goodness I don't think I stopped eating the whole time i was there...I felt like a teenage boy, I just kept eating)
it was just the complete package and I luved every minute...I still do have midterms staring me down...but stress...is that even a word? who stresses...I certainly don't stress, I just sat on a deck, put my feet up and stared out at the water watching it dance and shimmer, I just went to the cottage.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

mia, i'm gald you saw the love even without running water, a hot sun and leaves on the trees! glad you came along!