Sunday 8 March 2009

Tony campolo and the 2cd crime infested city in canada...

Did you know winnipeg is the 2cd crimy-est city in canada (per capita)....I did not. I have been walking around winnipeg at 11pm and 1am just having a grande old time with the -30 wind chill and have felt like this must be a safe city cause its so stinking cold all the time, apparently not, apparently cold brings out the worst in people...(cause saskatoon is ranked the big #1) so I guess what I really am trying to say is, I am brave, and I didn't even know it...seriously people, a revelation.
Also Tony came to speak at the high school retreat that the college puts on here at CMU. I got to go for free so I did. His topic.....facing your fears...no laughing please.
Anyway, it was good, Tony is 74, he has been in youth ministry from the get go...but mostly he's a sociologist and wants to change the world.
Moment of the week,
To get to work I have to take the bus, and usually end up getting to work either 1/2 hour early or 1/2 late...so as my one treat (I say one but I mean many...I just like you to think I only treat myself once...) of the week I usually take one shift a week to go to starbies and just sit and chai and watch the snow and cars and just be for about an hour...lots of times it takes me a long time to get all the superficial junk out of my head and quit the mind noise...sometimes I never even get to an actual state of just being with my chai, in the shoppe, just sitting. But this week was nice, the mind noise settled, it was snowing big flakes and cars were merrily driving to destinations and it was just me and the chai and the tree outside the window watching life...I realize more and more, I am kinda an observer, I love the story, the potential, almost like the mystery behind what the daily activities actually are...I am not so excited about papers, ironing, paying bills, making appointments, checking off that mental list of things to do...nope, but sitting back and realizing very quietly that there is purpose and beauty behind all that rush, stress and littleness...I crave those moments...and then I go to work and get caught up in racing around trying to make people show me economic kindness or else I will go home crushed and bewildered at how many people (I don't even know) don't like me...and then I realize that I am only using them for monetary gain and then i don't feel that bad that they didn't like me...
but mostly I am avoiding doing homework right now, so I had better go do a paper...

No comments: