Tuesday 6 January 2009

And then there were 4

So far so good, i got into another class which bumps up my course load to 4...hence the title for this post...but first a summation of the first days here. I live on a floor where they have named the bathroom and shower stalls, so far I shower in Kierkegaard and pee in Aristotle...I don't know if they think this will help us get smarter-something like listening to Mozart when your pregnant to have a genius baby-whatever it is, I could use all the help I can get. The heater decided to break last nite and so for 4 hours my room got gradually colder and colder, the whole dorm was freezing, and the residence director was almost to the point of making us camp out in some warmer building for the night...thankfully at midnite the boiler was fixed and there was much sleep to be had.
Because the dorms have an open door policy with the mens residence across the hall there are a steady stream of boys at all hours on my floor. This is quite new to my dormatory experiences but so far has been quite manageable.
Today I went to biology, I guess I had it in my head that my teacher would be an older biology geek with a silver beard and much wisdom with an eccentric sort of presentation. In fact the guy who walked in to teach is probably one of the younger faculty carrying his apple computer and it gets funnier in that most of our topic in class today dealt with reproduction. I know, i was like, no matter where I go, it's all about babies. Not that he wasn't a geek with an eccentric way of presenting the material, or that he had no wisdom, it was just weird to see someone closer to my age than i am to the student sitting next to me, teaching me about the definition of species and the ability to reproduce. It looks to be an interesting class with the potential for hilariously awkward moments.
I gave myself the tour of campus, all but the gym...I tried to find it but got intimidated with all the jocks in their offices and so left that for another days adventure.
PS, In orientation for new students i was told to find out who my advisor is and to go introduce myself to that person, punch line; biology teacher...yup, like I said looks to have the potential for awkwardly hilarious memories for me and of course you all cause i will share my shame on the world wide web...like a shamelessly, shameless mennonite....today our conversation went sort of like, hi, I was told to introduce myself to you...your my advisor...congratulations to you ( I didn't actually say that) and then we were both at a loss of what to say. He asked me to sit down, so i did (he is my advisor after all) and then welcomed me and gave me a shpeel about being there for me...and i said I have nothing to really talk about yet, but I will remember that he is there for me and then I left. Touching actually.
and thats all for now...

3 comments:

Kim said...

i look forward to further episodes with said advisor. and i'm smirking.

Darcy, Wendy, Brianna, Luke, Jackson, Kaitie said...

Welcome to Winnipeg! Pick a day for a home-cooked meal and a play with 3 energetic kids (transportation included), and we will make it work. Contact some or your 'closest' relatives.

Darcy and Wendy
darcwend@yahoo.ca

Audra said...

You are too funny!! Ever thought of writing professionally? Maybe comedy?? I can't wait to here more about "Mr. Biology Teacher." Oh, and I'm still waiting for that long facebook email to me. (This is Ryan by the way, not Audra) Love you