Saturday 5 November 2011

A Father figure

November 4 came and went, the whole day I kept telling myself, it's somebodies birthday today, but as I went thru the day...for the life of me I couldn't remember whose...as I went to the hospital at 6am I thought...it's the fourth and my family has a thing for being born on the fourth, 'today seems like one of those fourths'...as I was helping my patients with their medicine, 'who is it?'..."whose fourth is it today?"...no answer came to me...after work i came home exhausted...and then got ready to go out to a wedding social but I was still wondering who's birthday it was...(in winnipeg people have wedding socials, it's like a fundraiser (prizes, draws, tickets) party where everyone gets invited to raise money for the bride and groom but also it's a party (dancing and food) so anyone can come)...this was my first winnipeg social...the dance floor was almost pitch dark, so i felt very comfortable dancing...no one could see much...and then when good dancers came and started dancing really well I just watched them thinking, I wish I could do that, and I was also thinking i wished I knew whose birthday it is today...then, at the end of the social it was announced that it was alot of peoples birthday that day...the fourth...so we all sang happy birthday...instead of saying the list if names of people whose birthday it was at the party...I sang...'to everyone' when that part came thinking, "I know it's someone in my families birthday today...this will count as me singing to them"...

so grandpa, at about midnite on the fourth of november, in the middle of a crowded dance floor I sang happy birthday to you...happy 87 years of being the Enns' favorite 'pinch guy'

I love you my most

No comments: