Saturday 9 July 2011

Life as a Spaz

I observe my right as the sister who communicates the most frequently anyway to use my weekly email to the sis' as a communal blog...mostly, I'm lazy.

K so here goes...

Group project assignment for class studying the Metis of Canada...I know almost nothing about the Metis of Canada and am part of one of the first groups to present...wait a minute I do know about the Metis of Canada, there was Peirce Brosnan in a movie playing a Metis-I think somebody called Louis Riel...I know I watched the movie-but all I can remember is Peirce Brosnan.
Anyway, we met to discuss what we knew about the Metis, me and my group, I had very little to add to this discussion; it was decided just to read our section straight from the book, nothing fancy just straight up, no frills, just information; learning the old fashioned way...then, then, we went to class and some ubber keeners brought in Metis art, clothing, fur hats, and a plethora of all things show and tell along with a PowerPoint presentation for their schpeel...I threw up alittle in my mouth. As we were passing around the fur hats of 'metis artwork and design', my friend pointed out the 'made in China label' on the inside, insert evil chuckles from myself and my friend. We felt perfectly justified in this moment of evil joy at the expense of the presenting group. They were going to get an A plus so I am sure they didn't care that much what we thought. After class we got time with our individual presentation groups and strategized about what to do now...
"They had PowerPoint guys, what are we going to do?" "POWERPOINT!" this is what I sounded like to my group...I think they thought I was whining, in fact I was just scared.
Alot of other groups pulled together a PowerPoint presentation for the next day's class; we (my group) weren't quite techno savvy enough for that, but we did manage to find a map. So we decided to project our little map on the screen and then read off our notes, occasionally pausing to mention, "and you can see that on the map, here." We felt quite interactive as we added, the map.
Anyway between class one and class two, I had to come home. The dishes needed doing, I was frustrated with class, so I just threw them all in the dishwasher, not really caring about rinsing them first...and then the dishwasher broke...it didn't finish the cycle...I start freaking out, I think the sum of my thoughts during this time degenerated alittle due to all these traumatic events, "I just broke the dishwasher! PowerPoint! I broke it! PowerPoint! I am so horrible for breaking the dishwasher! PowerPoint! I can't believe this, how could this happen? How could they do PowerPoint!"
I had to email my landlords who are off saving the world that I had broken their dishwasher, and my email was a bit frantic...i don't think I mentioned PowerPoint's though, at least I hope I didn't.
By the next day, or presentation day, I was doing much better, sort of. I was so frazzled I forgot my notes and had to walk back to the house, which made me miss my bus connection, no problem, just took 3 other buses before I got to the university, running late. My group practised our presentation, with the map. And then we were the first group on when class started, we were so nervous we read through our notes at lightning speed and didn't meet the time requirement for presenting. As if my group was of one mind they all pointed to the map "Look at this map." "What a great map." trying to eek out a few more minutes with that map...I unfortunately was of no help. I was mentally frozen, I just stood there, looking at the timer we had set thinking, "PowerPoint! We should have done a PowerPoint!"

1 comment:

Ben said...

Your so good at telling stories Maria! I love it.