Tuesday 7 December 2010

Prostate health....

This semester my favorite prof specializes in men's health...when i go to class I am constantly amazed at how much I didn't know about men's health before now...but now i do...or something...

DRE- do you know what this is? well, I sure didn't, and no it's not Dr Dre the rap artist, which would have been my closest guess...D is for digital...r is for rectum...e is for examination...yup, the self prostate exam is done through the rectum... apparently through the rectum you can feel if the prostate is enlarged...who knew right?

Also, men need to do kegels too, promoting prostate health is about kegels...pelvic floor muscle...aother shocker, here I thought they were just for women...

also the size of a man's index finger as compared to his ring finger indicates the risk for prostate cancer to some degree...all men hold your hands up...compare the length of your index finger to your ring finger, if your index finger is longer...you have a 33% less chance of getting prostate cancer...right off the get go....I know!!!!!!!!!! crazy...so then prof asks us why this could be...and me, being the brilliant beyond brilliant student that I am pipes up...yes, I said this without really thinking it through that well, but we had just been discussing DRE so i was like, longer fingers=better self examination...there was no awkward silence before the whole class...the whole class erupted laughing at me...not with, at...but seriously, at the time I thought it made perfect sense...my prof grades us on our vocal contributions for our class participation mark so now he is going to remember me as the dimwit who thinks long fingers are made for DRE's...

actually they attribute having long index fingers all the way back to fetal development and the amount of testosterone the baby is exposed to in utero...this hormone can be traced to affecting a certain gene which causes finger growth AS WELL AS other things...and thats where the relationship between a finger length and your prostate health come into play...how healthy your prostate is now or ever will be, is partly becaue of how you were made in utero...side note, if your index and ring finger are the same length there is no significant risk or benefit to it, but having a shorter index finger than ring finger is correlated with a higher risk for prostate cancer...and when I say risk, I mean risk...not your going to get prostate cancer...so anyway...get check ups and do the DRE...I also learned about saw palmello but I will save that for another time...

I think we've all discussed enough for now...

needless to say, I just felt like I needed to show you that I am learning something, because it was Mouvember (mustache for prostate cancer awareness) recently, so go measure your finger...

then see if you need to see Dr DRE...

1 comment:

Audra said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha... breath, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahhaha.