Monday 10 May 2010

things i like and don't like

my job involves alot of moving and crawling and scrubbing...getting on all fours and sometimes putting my face right into a toilet bowl...it's intense...me and excrement, we're tight like that.
Cleaning up after university students and realizing that once again, people aren't all that they seem.
Take for instance the farm boys on third floor concord, they wiped their walls and even attempted a thorough oven clean. Impressive, makes my life a whole lot easier. I heart farm boys (not really but for the purpose of this blog, i do) It has been illuminating to realize that princess prairie isn't perfect, she can't clean an oven-or just left it for me to clean.
Then there is the nicest group of girls on campus, always willing to help out, lead a bible study, pray with people...but apparently they have no time to clean. They left their apartment a disaster. That wasn't the worst of it though, 3 good mennonite boys, easy going, normal looking...I shudder to even think about what their apartment looked like when I walked in the first time. And this was after the maintenance staff had pity on us and cleaned the toilet and tub for us. Oozing muck along the fridge bottom, rotten garbage, kitchen cupboards full of stuff. In a word, heinous.
But the all time shocker goes to the resident 'everyone wants to date him, all round heart throb, music major'; he left dirty boxer shorts and socks all over his room. And his toilet is rimmed in excrement and pee. All I had time to do was shut the door and try to forget that I could be assigned his room tomorrow.
I am not a neat freak, or even the cleanest person around. For me personally, I usually just tidy and call it 'done'...but getting one-on-one with some serious grime and 'people' dirt has lead me to call this attitude into question. I can handle my dirt, tidy my mess...but why can't I handle yours? or anyone elses for that matter...yours sucks...for real.
Then comes a profoundly shocking new revelation for me...I love to kill other people's dirt, banish it from every surface, scrape it into the garbage, rinse it down the drain and look around at the wonder of what I have just accomplished. Die! Die! Die! I love the feeling. It's like I have won a battle with all the forces of nasty germiness. I have prevailed against the forces of grime and dust. And when i leave that bathroom and shut the door behind me, I take one last look just to see the shimmering beauty of a clean toilet winking back at me. So rewarding. I am spartacus.

2 comments:

mums said...

Yes! Cleaner toilets never sounded so good. Maybe we should open a business!

Kim said...

God bless you.