Wednesday 8 October 2008

irony

today I had a chat about heaven with the surgeon. I made him coffee and we chatted about my grandma dying (he even knew how many years that my grandparents had been married) and much like fall our lives are...he compared us to leaves on a tree and the fact that we need to wither-out and dry up to let go down here on earth sometimes...I didn't want to let him know that Grandma had a zest for living that at 80 was still as strong as at 20..."No, one wants to die" she would say:) but in general we could both agree that getting old is hard. Loosing control and becoming more helpless is not easy and generally life gets very hard for people once their body can't keep up to their mind.
but yeah, here I was, talking with the local 'health-god' because sometimes I feel like we can treat the local Doctors like a diety...and when they don't give us what we want (good health) we rant and complain and generally make their lives miserable...i, generally, am afraid of so much authority in a person but there we were chatting like old friends.
And then the scary Dr told me I had a good way about how I dealt with things on the telephone...wow...it went straight to my head and I was on cloud 9 for a 12 hour shift...I don't think he realized but I was alot nicer on the phone the rest of that day even when i didn't feel like it...I am such an affirmation seeker...but that compliment was hard won...seriously!
So the fact that I can talk about heaven with the local Doctor, the fact that everyone knows who i am and who my family is, comforts me. I found myself being very thankful for what I have been blessed with in living in this small town for so long. It is truly the season of thankfulness for me...and since I will forget to post on thanksgiving day I thought today was a good example of life being so ordinary but surprising and new all at the same time.
giving thanks

No comments: