Friday 4 May 2007

spiders and babies

So i went to Spiderman 3...went with all my roomies, Becks, Linds, Kayla, Alex. We had our Spiderman tee's and group pictures...most of which didn't turn out. So plus i am too lazy to download them to my computer from someone elses....so you just get to think about how cool 5 white girls looked at the second day of Spiderman showing in the middle of an asian metropolis. We rocked the house. Later we met up with our friend Kim, it was a great evening...then I decided to wear my new spidey tee to bed just to keep the 'moment'. Yes, some things are priceless.
On to my first shifts at Shiphrah birthing home in antipolo...wake up at 4:45am and a 45 minute Jeepney ride to walk up a steep hill and there you are at a quiet little birthing clinic in the hills above the city of Manila. So for 48 hours i slept, ate and waited for births. Didn't have to wait too long though, i was involved in three in one day. The very last birth, last nite, I got to catch. A gorgeous little chubby girl-who put her mum through a lot of pain-it was a hard birth but Celia, stepped it up and really didn't look back or chicken out. Oh and she didn't make a sound. Seriously, I don't know how they do it, i feel like I want to scream just watching what a mother goes thru in labor and here she is just looking up and nodding when you ask if there is a contraction. So here is what i look like at a birth just in case you think I'm some great heroic person coming to a helpless poverty stricken woman's rescue....
Me: Ate any hilab (contraction)?
Celia: nodding then indicates that there is none again by positioning herself so i can best check heart tones...
Me: Gustomo tubig? Do you want water?
Celia: Takes the cup and drinks...no words still...
Me: Ihib po. I am reminding her to breathe...
Celia: Looks at me and takes deep breaths.
In my little canadian brain i am like-she must be ready to slap me now. i am just sitting here watching her and she is writhing in pain and I am giving her water and telling her to breathe. i would slap myself but she just keeps going. Walking, kneeling, squatting, sitting, laboring.
Then baby comes and in this case it was like a light turned on in Celia's face, pain wasn't over but all that hoping was finally seen in the face of a chubbie cutie pie. And I am so excited, telling her Tapos na (finished), and she just smiles alittle at me.

1 comment:

caramoutsos said...

Hi, I enjoyed reading over your blog. I was living in the Philippines for the past year and a half as a Peace Corps Volunteer. I plan to go to midwifery school after Peace Corps.
Anyway, I met Deb on a jeepney in Antipolo and she told me about the birth center where she works. I think it must be the Deb you mentioned. Do you have her contact info? I will back in the area in the next month or so and I would love to come visit the clinic and talk to you all. Are you in school still or what exactly are you doing?
I look forward to emailing with you!
Ingat! Cara Moutsos caramoutsos@yahoo.com