Thursday 22 March 2007

Laundry

What do you do when labor doesn't progress well and you have to transfer a patient? I do laundry. Something about the rhythm and sound of a washing machine, the wet clean feel of the clothes after ringing them out. And the wonderful smell of scented detergent making all of yesterdays...or this mornings-dirt/smells a memory. this morning I got home from our home birth that we transported and did laundry and kinda wondered why someone with a laundry fetish gets into birth. Birth is not clean or sweet smelling-especially when your in a room that fits one twin bed in it with 3 other white girls, 2 filipina's and 1 very uncomfortable laboring woman. And as your sitting there-trying to breath in a pocket of fresh air from...somewhere...you look at her laundry pile and think-I could do her laundry. There are alot of things I am learning and cannot do when it comes to birth but I can do laundry.
Kinda funny cause my roomies know me well, After the baby died at one of my births I called home for alex to bring a laundry bag to the clinic-so i could do the birth laundry...normally this would be a job left to the family of the laboring woman (in many cases the hubbie)...I didn't want the family to have to do this so I thought we would take it home and do it. Alex being very sensitive and caring thought I wanted her to BRING a bag of laundry from the house to the clinic so I could process and destress over my favorite pastime.
I am glad i have laundry, I am glad I have roomates that know I need laundry. I am glad that birth usually entails doing laundry afterwards...I think I better check on my laundry now.

1 comment:

Alexandra Michel said...

i felt led to leave a comment about his, one: beacause i feel bad for you that know one has commented to us the last few days. two: im thankful for your laundry habbits. three: he he i dont know