Tuesday 20 September 2011

Today I almost died.

I survived tho...just letting you know I am safe...in case your worried and you can't wait until the end.

Anyway, I was sitting in class and we were studying the endocrine system, we got through hypothyroidism...and I felt fine. And then we got to hyperthyroidism, and graves disease. You can either have a problem with the gland itself, secreting too much T4...or it could be that the message from the hypothalamus releasing the hormone and anterior pituitary stimulating hormone feeding into the thyroid is wack and the thyroid is actually fine. Either way, you get hyperthyroidism if you have too much T4 running around...and then your body goes into overdrive, making more and more rbc (red blood cells), using more energy, go go go...people who suffer from it can develop a mental disorder they become so frantic. ironically however, some of the symptoms mirror that of hypothyroidism, the loss of hair, lack of libido ( my prof described this as, well, once your brain registers your sex drive it has already passed because everything is on high speed...we all laughed) anyway then she started talking about the crisis event, what happens when it's an emergency situation...and one of the symptoms was abdominal pain...then I realized something: my stomach was hurting, I suddenly knew I was suffering from hyperthyroidism...I was at a crisis event...I felt hot, flush, I was sweating,mostly my stomach hurt emergency! emergency!...I am sure i was experiencing muscle weakness too but i couldn't check cause I was in class so I just stayed in my chair...I was fading fast...I looked around...did no one notice how sick i was? I started thinking about how long it would take someone to get to the skills lab to get me an iv to replace all the fluid I was loosing...what to do what to do....where is PTU and Tapazole when you need it!!???! I needed radioactive iodine therapy STAT.
and then class ended and I somehow managed to get out of class and decided to eat my last meal...this is it...as soon as I had some food in me, for some odd reason, i felt so much better...my stomach stopped hurting. I realized I wasn't sweating anymore, I was better!
crisis event with hyperthyroidism solved with a tuna wrap...bet no Dr ever tried that before.
and that is the story of today and what i lived through...
it was intense...

No comments: