Tuesday 17 July 2007

Birth, sutures, insomnia and prenatal exercise...

Well, Monday started off with me feeling anxious and not sleeping well thru the nite...decided to go to the clinic just to check things out...well, there was a birth and it was one of my continuities. She had seen me for all her prenatals for the past month and a half and then had her baby girl before I could get there...Jolia, so cute. I was ther in time to bath her-which is my fav part anyway-and then had to get busy cause there had been 3 births that nite. 3 hours later I was called into help a 21 year old deliver her first baby. She was stoic, I have seen some quiet births but this girl was steller and I was happy to just direct her to breath and then push during contractions. After 1/2 and hour she had made such good progress that it was time to get the head midwife in to be at the birth in case of complications. Well, her little girl flew out and was a bit premature so we made sure to give her oxygen and see how she adjusted. She did fine. Her mum tore and so i was deligated to 'be the one' to suture. NOT my favorite job.
God has just been so gracious to me in that he has given me the girls who are stoic and don't even open their eye's or move while the suturing takes place...I'm sure if the patient started crying uncontrollably, well her wimpy midwife (me) would also start crying and begging to stop. I am just not into pain. I am a comfort girl. And although birth is natural and a miracle and exciting and bearable...it's not comfortable.
But today was a bit more fun, the midwives saw us doing the macarena in the living area of the clinic so today we taught the macarena and did birthing exercises before prenatals. 3 white girls in front of about 30 little filipina pregnant women. It was fun, we were all laughing as we stretched and then did hip rolls and lunges...

No comments: