Tuesday 15 May 2007

New faces

I work at a different clinic now. Run by 5 Filipina midwives, they eat, sleep and raise their kids around laboring and pregnant women. it can become quite comical at times. You know your mother's a midwife when...your a 2 year old little girl and you see a pregnant woman and you grab some gloves and run up to her like your going to measure cervical dialation.
Ate Imelda, our wonderful preceptor and one of the beautiful babies we get to hold.
one of the midwives kids. He is about the cutest little rascal ever. Naughty but hilarious. Another girl I have gotten to know is Ella, she is just visiting for vacation but she speaks great english so we have bonded...the other day I was walking down the hill to 'get my exercise' and a bottle of gatorade (for my electrolytes...are you proud of me yet dad?)...wearing my sunscreen I might add (yes tris occasionally I do...) and she comes racing behind in barefeet on the gravel road...ate mia, ate mia...I thought a woman in labor had come to the clinic or something! But no, she just wanted me to bring her back chocolate. I understand this need for chocolate so I definately got some for her. I will miss her when she heads back to school in June.
oh, also i got told that i looked like i was 16...Imelda is my favorite person right now! What this picture doesn't say is that i haven't showered for 48 hours and have been to 5 births; hand sanitizer has been used as body lotion so i don't kill people with my dirt and stench and I'm about to get on an hour long jeepney ride home. yet ella still lets me hug her-what a pal-she is really a great kid!

2 comments:

Kim said...

i'm loving the filipinas right now too, because apprentlyL: i'm so brown i'm turning filipino, i've lost weight and i don't have "spots" like other americans do. YES! -K

hadassah said...

haha, i was thinking you looked super young in that pic w/ yr braids too! :D cute. oh man, that's brutal about the no shower, etc. :)