Friday 25 May 2007

milestones

These friends came with me and because i knew they were sitting out there and not judging how well I would do or whatnot...I stayed in my seat-didn't bolt for the backdoor and walked up and presented a very deserving young man his scholarship.

It's the end of another school year. I am in the phils, why not do a scholarship presentation since I'm 'in the neighborhood'. Sounds easy, sounds simple, but what it really means is two weeks of nightmares of tripping, crying in public, or just saying something that doesn't make sense or mean anything...well, I did the latter. In the end I couldn't think, I looked across at the students and after hearing the grad address, the speakers and all the staff and not being able to even contemplate a speech beforehand I wussed out and could barely get out a quick. 'On behalf of the Enns' family...', and 'Micah Dowell congradulations'...it took forever for him to cross the stage. and then it was over.
But it wasn't over,
Bill and Treva Turpin's daughter came and congradulated and promised to invite me for dinner. also Steve's old soccer coach asked if they could have us over. Me and my friends.
Then later the wassels had us over for chicken inchelada's...we were so excited about the food they thought we were weird but we haven't had an oven for 4 months and chicken inchelada's oh my word-they were good! Then we played settlers together and just hung out with a family. Had a couple of good jokes with AJ...we have the same spiderman shirt...kinda funny...also some of the alumni were checking out my friends and AJ kindly informed us that "yes, those guys had been wispering about us." (which was very flattering)
I was so blessed today, my friends told me I did OK even though I botched it. But mostly I didn't know what to say, I found out Micah's dad is terminally ill with cancer and he might not even survive the flight home. He has 4 sisters and plays soccer and rugby and his fav verse in the yearbook was Micah 6:8 do justly, luv mercy and walk humbly.
I am so blessed. faith academy has been such a comfort to my family. Carol Foutz sat with me the whole service. I thought this day would last forever and even though it started at 5:45am...it has been good. I have been given back more than I ever thought possible...I am still me, i am still the geek who can't do public speaking but I have friends and community and tonight chicken inchelada's...life is good. And my prayers are for the Dowell family as they go home and deal with this illness. i pray that like Betsy and Corri they will be able to say that there is no pit, no darkness, no sadness and pain that God is not deeper still. that his mercies are new every morning...

1 comment:

hadassah said...

sweet! i'm glad you could go back to FA for this. i'm sure it wasn't as bad as you thought. :) but it does suck to be so nervous. you look really cute - i like that color on you! :) so was it a vacay for you & yr friends? LOL!!! abt the guys checking you out - maybe you won't be single after all! haha. glad it was a fun trip and that you got to see old friends. :)